The day didn’t turn out at all like I planned, but was probably better for it.

The day began with sleeping in. Sort of. In spite of my good intentions to get up at the normal time with my alarm, I just wasn’t ready to get moving before the sun burned off the morning gloom. The cats disdained my laziness and resorted to vomiting multiple times in multiple rooms until I gave in, got up, and fed them. And cleaned up the puke. I went back to bed and snoozed for an hour until my backup alarm went off, and then snoozed some more until I finally woke up feeling ready to start the day. I still made it to my desk by nine AM.

Conveniently, my desk was also the breakfast table. I brewed a fresh pot of coffee instead of re-heating the half-pot from yesterday, and read a little bit of “The Revenant” by Michael Punke and ate my normal breakfast cereal. Because when it came right down to it, it’s cereal that I actually like to eat. I made myself a To Do list and debated what to leave off it. I probably should have made myself a To Don’t list- things that I didn’t want to do for the day.

Then I read my horoscope for the year, because I’m a sucker for that kind of thing. My personal magnetism is supposed to be high this year. I’m not sure what that means, but it sounds good.

I Skyped with my Mom to open the gifts that she sent: a necklace and a miniature turtle-shaped kite. Modest, but fun gifts, and a good visit. My sister Bean messaged asking if I wanted to go see “The BFG” with her, so I took her up on the offer. We went to Porto’s for lunch and shared a piece of cake, which was delicious, but I couldn’t have eaten the whole thing myself if I’d wanted to. I think the point of birthday cake is to share it anyway. We caught the screening at a discount theatre for the complete sticky-floor movie-theatre experience, but enjoyed it nonetheless. The sound system was good, anyway. I enjoyed the film, but found the motion-capture animation a bit too uncanny for my taste still.

Afterwards we got coffee and dissected the movie into a thousand tiny parts for about an hour before I hit the road to go home. I made it back to the apartment with just enough time to change and go out for a run in the last of the dying daylight. How did the day go so fast?! I went an extra mile as a celebratory birthday victory lap. I called the Curmudgeonly Lion to check in while I was cooling down and to hear about his day at the funeral. While I had him on the phone I opened the gift that he’d left for me: a new bottle of single-malt scotch to replace the one that we finally emptied from our wedding. Just what I wanted 🙂 I cracked it open to enjoy a bit of it while watching the final two episodes of “Mad Men”. This seemed a fitting way to end the day.

So a great day and over too soon. Here’s looking forward to another great year.

~ by Gwydhar Gebien on July 7, 2016.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: