My alarm went off at five in the morning, and I got out of bed to start the day.


I was standing in the kitchen making lunches when my second alarm went off at five thirty. That was the first time I realized that I’d gotten up half an hour earlier than I needed to, but it was too late to go back to bed now: I was just going to have to make do. I hadn’t even thought twice about it: hadn’t whined. Hadn’t checked the time. Just got out of bed and started the day.

It was the day of my annual physical, and while I wasn’t consciously nervous about visiting the doctor’s office, clearly there was a subconscious part of my brain that was on slightly-too-high-alert. I wasn’t going in to work until afterwards, so my whole morning routine was just slightly off-kilter: no coffee, no breakfast, no going back to bed. I knew I had a few extra hours to kill, so I  looked over my to do list in search of tasks that I could actually complete within an hour or two: pack up a box of gifts for shipping. Print photos. Write thank-you notes.

It turned out to be quite a productive morning.

The physical itself was pleasantly routine: the assistant took my weight in kilograms so I didn’t have to know how much Christmas Chub I was accumulating, and the doctor that they assigned me to for a Primary Care Physician turned out to be merry and bright, which was a relief. At last: I have a name I can put down under Name of Doctor on insurance forms, etc. At last, I have someone I can get referrals from if I need them. At last I have ONE PERSON I can direct questions to- which means I’ll be able to ask follow up questions later without having to start at the beginning.

For all the issues that I dislike about the modern health-insurance-care system, I have to say I’m appreciating my current plan: I gave blood samples for tests around ten in the morning and I got an email with the results before the end of the work day. I actually got to see my own results! Same day! The doctor could actually call up a record of my previous visit! The experience of being remembered by a medical establishment is so new and novel to me that I feel amazed. And then horrified- because I’m feeling amazed at something so basic as being kept in the loop on my own medical history. And then amazed again.

So that went well.

Afterwards, I went to the post office to ship a package.

That did not go well. Three of the four Automated Postage Machines were out of order. The line for the counter stretched out the door and there were only three tellers toiling away to manage the crowds. In the lobby, a woman played Christmas Carols live on a flute, which would have been soothing and lovely if every seventh or eighth note hadn’t been out of tune.  Ah well.

So that’s been my day. I’m still reeling from task to task trying to wrap things up before the end of the year and make all my holiday preparations. I’m not in terrible shape, but there’s still way more to be done than I’ll be able to do.


~ by Gwydhar Gebien on December 18, 2018.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: